Identity theft is a serious threat in the world we live in today. In fact, it is one of the fastest growing crimes in America.
Because of this, your security from identity theft is very important. Having a good paper shredder is a great way to make sure that no one reads mail or papers that have your personal information on them after you are through with them.
There are all kinds of paper shredders you can purchase, and because of the large volume of different brands and companies that make them, you may be confused on which one to purchase.
When shopping for a paper shredder, be sure to look at things such as the sheet capacity, waste basket size, and the amount of run time before a cool down period is needed. Below you can find the best paper shredders under $100.
|Bonsaii DocShred C560-D||6 sheets||4-gallon|
|Swingline Paper Shredder||14 sheets||5-gallon|
|Sentinel FM101P||10 sheets||3.5-gallon|
|Fellowes Powershred W11C||11 sheets||4.75-gallon|
1. AmazonBasics (Highest Security)This paper shredder by AmazonBasics is considered a high-security shredder that can shred up to twelve sheets of paper at once.
It can also destroy credit cards, CDs, and DVDs as well which shows how powerful this shredder is. It shreds the documents into very small pieces at a rate of six feet per minute.
It also has a total eight-minute run time before it requires a cool down period which is forty-five minutes long.
The device features an auto start and also has a manual reverse in case any jams occur. The device is backed by a one-year limited warranty and is priced just under one-hundred dollars.
- Shreds paper into tiny pieces 5/32 by 15/32 inches (Level P-5)
- 8 minute continuous run time
- 6.7-gallon pullout bin
- Shreds a variety of media
- Oil for maintenance not included
2. Bonsaii DocShred C560-D (Bargain Buy)This Bonsaii brand shredder is capable of shredding six sheets at once. It produces a micro-cut and shreds documents into very small, unrecognizable pieces.
The device is equipped with a four-gallon waste basket so you have to empty less frequently, and it also has a basket window so you know when the waste basket is full.
The Bonsaii shredder has a convenient handle design to provide simple and easy waste disposal. It also features an auto start and a manual reverse to clear any jams that occur.
It also contains a thermal protection system that prevents any overheating on the motor. The shredder is capable of shredding up to 6.2 feet per minute and has an 8.7″ opening to insert paper. The Bonsaii shredder will cost you around 35 dollars.
- Shreds paper into tiny particles measuring 5/32 by 15/32 inches (Level P-5)
- Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams
- CD shredder
- Center switch activated
- Doesn’t come with a lubricant
- Short power cord
3. Swingline Paper ShredderThe Swingline Paper Shredder can shred up to 14 sheets at a time, the highest sheet capacity on this list. There is no need to remove any staples or paper clips, as the shredder can take care of these as well.
It can also shred most unopened junk mail as well as CDs and DVDs. The device destroys the discs with a separate cutter so that wear and tear of the main cutters can be prevented. This also extends the life of the shredder.
This paper shredder has a five-gallon waste basket that makes emptying quick and easy. Another awesome feature is that it has a twenty minute run time so you can get more shredding done in a single session. This paper shredder costs around ninety dollars.
- Shreds up to 14 sheets at a time (Level P-4) Crosscut
- 5-gallon pull-out waste bin
- Shreds DVDs and CDs
- Slim footprint
- Shred window is a bit misleading, should empty as soon as you can see paper
4. Sentinel FM101PNext on the list is Sentinel High-Security Shredder. It has a sheet capacity of 10 sheets in a single pass or one one credit card in a single pass. It has a micro-cut shred which is a security level 4, and it can shred sixty pages per minute.
The device features an auto start and stop, a manual reverse function, and it also has small wheels underneath that make it easy to move the shredder around.
This extremely quiet shredder has a four-gallon waste basket with a window so you know when the container is ready to be emptied. It has a capacity of 360 shredded sheets. The device comes with a manufacturer’s one-year limited warranty and is priced near ninety dollars.
- 5mm x 10mm Micro-Cut shred is security Level P-4
- Auto start/stop with a manual reverse function
- Effortlessly shreds through credit cards and staples
- Storage bin could be a bit bigger
5. Fellowes Powershred W11CThe Fellowes Powershred can shred eleven sheets of paper per pass, and it can also handle staples and credit cards as well which is a great bonus.
It features a level 4 security cross cut. It can run for up to five minutes before it requires a cool down period. The device has a safety lock that disables the shredder for safety protection.
It provides medium duty, reliable shredding and is considered ideal for desk side use. The waste basket is 4.75 gallons. This paper shredder is priced around sixty dollars and concludes the list of best paper shredders under $100.
- 5/32 x 1-3/8″ Security Level P-4 cross-cut particles
- SafetyLock disables the shredder for added safety protection
- Shreds staples and credit cards
- Noisy operation
- Would have liked a bigger waste paper container
- Does not shred CDs
As you can now see, there are so many options when it comes to choosing a paper shredder.
The best advice I can offer is to look at features and specifications to see which one would work the best for you.
The Bonsaii shredder is great if you are on a budget and only need light shredding done, the Fellowes shredder is considered perfect for desk side use, and the Swingline is great if you are someone who needs a lot of heavy-duty shredding done.
I can guarantee that all of the shredders I included are some of the best paper shredders under $100. If you put in a little effort in researching, you are sure to find the perfect shredder.